Thursday 29 March 2012

Lemon Meringue Cupcakes


These cupcakes have to be some of the yummiest I've attempted so far - and also some of the trickiest! Including the cooling times, they did take a couple of hours... but I reckon they were worth it.

The recipe, taken from The Hummingbird Bakery book 'Cake Days', involved making a lemon sponge, then digging out the centre of each cupcake to fill with lemon curd. Then for the topping, I had my first attempt at Italian meringue (the softer kind you tend to find on lemon meringue pie), which was more technical than I had imagined. As with any meringue, there was a LOT of whisking involved - but there was also the tricky stage of making the sugar syrup, which took a fair amount of patience (and uncertainty on my part!).

Give them a try - I doubt you'll regret it!

Charlotte



No comments:

Post a Comment