Wednesday 18 July 2012

Butterscotch Marshmallow Bars


I have made many overtly sweet things in my time - you know the ones - those cakes which look so delectable but after a few bites, no matter how sweet your tooth, you are defeated. These are up there with the best of them.

The recipe for these, once again taken from the wonderful 'Cake Days', is certainly more challenging than some of the others in the book, simply due to the patience required whilst waiting for the butterscotch (which I prefer to describe as 'caramel') to reach the 'soft ball' stage. This is the point at which you can add a drop to cold water, and it suspends in a ball. Believe me - my friend Ray and I were there a while.

Then of course, there was the overnight wait while they set, the marshmallows gradually expanding, a pastel-coloured homage to the fried egg. Poor Ray now has to collect his another day.

Slicing them this morning was a struggle; the marshmallow layer stretched and stuck and sometimes slid off. But now, having tasted one (okay - two, but seriously, no more could be managed), I deem them worth the wait.

Charlotte  




No comments:

Post a Comment