Thursday 25 October 2012

Zebra Cake


Since seeing Lorraine Pascale's 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Zebra' cake on TV, I had been intrigued at the seemingly simple visual effect and wanted to give it a try myself. I managed to find a recipe based on Lorraine's - you can try it here:http://gcl.dunster.nl/2012/07/21/zebra-cake/

However, if you know me and my baking style, you will know I'm not one for prettying about - I want that cake in the oven and I want to eat it! So I admit, I tried to take a shortcut here by using what looked like the easier option of spooning blobs of mixture into the tray, instead of piping (as advised in this recipe: http://www.azcookbook.com/zebra-cake/).

Nonetheless, perhaps due to the thickness of my mixture, piping would have been more successful. My blobs were taking ages to spread out and I was hurrying, which made them imperfectly expand over each other and divert in new directions!

Still - it was a yummy cake, and that's all that matters, right? The effect, while not perfectly zebra, was pretty on the inside - but as it was shared out at my friend Emma's birthday, I didn't manage to get a snap! To be honest, I'm just glad it was popular.

Charlotte




No comments:

Post a Comment