Friday 16 September 2011

Cupcake of the Week! (COTW)



I love cupcakes that not only taste fantastic but look fantastic too. This is why this week I chose to bake orange and poppy seed cupcakes. The juicy orange tips caught my eye, as did the idea of an unusual flavouring, using poppy seeds.

They turned out pretty well, the orange segments on top were a bit big, but I think this added to the flavour – and the poppy seeds made a delightful crunch. I was unsure of the frosting, which was made from mascarpone cheese. I have only ever used mascarpone cheese in risotto before so the idea of making a frosting from it was strange to me. However it was very yummy and I will definitely be using it again. I think it’s amazing how food can be used in all sorts of different ways, and I look forward to discovering more about how different ingredients can create entirely different tastes.  

Jade


Mixing in the orange zest and poppy seeds

The cupcakes before the orange segments

A finished, and half eaten cupcake :)



No comments:

Post a Comment